WE ARE COVID-19 SECURE.  Our policies and procedures can be found here

Back to news

Easter Opening 2021

31 Mar 2021 by Vetsmiths
Blog-img

It may be another year of being unable to have those big happy Easter parties and family get togethers, but we’re still sending out our Happy Easter wishes and hope you have a great time with your pets.

Here’s our opening times over the period:

Good Friday  –  Closed

Saturday, 3 April  –  Open 8.30am – 1.30pm

Easter Sunday  –  Closed

Easter Monday  –  Closed

Tuesday, 6 April  –  Open 8.30am – 6.30pm

 

If you have a problem during the hours we are closed, please contact our out of hours provider VetsNow.

We work closely with them and follow-up on any calls or consultations to ensure we are up to speed with what’s going on with your pet/s.

VetsNow are based out of Lynwood Vets in Wimborne so are nice and handy for our clients.

They can be contacted on 01202 859933.

Toxic foods for dogs

Dogs can be opportunists (and what better time than Easter) when it comes to getting their paws on tasty treats.

Chocolate

Chocolate is extremely toxic to dogs!

It contains a stimulant called theobromine (dark chocolate has the highest content of this) which is toxic to dogs and can cause kidney failure.

If your dog has eaten chocolate, you MUST contact us (or your vet) and we will then ascertain exactly what has been ingested and the best course of action.

VetsNow have produced a toxicity calculator which is a helpful guide.

As a rule – the darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is!

Hot cross buns

As we all know, hot cross buns are yummy, but they mustn’t be given to our dogs.

Currants, sultanas and raisins have an active ingredient which causes the toxin and can lead to liver damage and kidney failure.

Toxic in-door flowers for cats and dogs

We love to give and receive flowers at Easter-time – what’s prettier than a spring bouquet – but beware some flowers that are extremely toxic to cats and dogs.

Lilies

All parts of the lily are poisonous to cats; stamen, flower, pollen and bulb, as well as the water in the vase.

The most common way of ingestion is from cats getting pollen on their fur and then licking it off during cleaning.

Daffodils and Narcissus

These are poisonous – the flower, the bulb and the water.

If you are lucky enough to receive a spring bouquet, make sure it’s out of reach from your pets.

 

Enjoy the break, from us all at Vetsmiths